Birgi is located at western part of Turkey. A town founded on the slopes of Mt. Bozdag. It takes approx. 2 hours to drive from Kusadasi to Birgi. Travellers feel like being in an open air museum during their walks through the historical streets of Birgi.
First inhabitance dates back to 2000BC, Phrygians, Persians, Romans, Byzantines, Aydinogullari Emirate and Ottomans ruled the town. The town had many names. During the Roman period the name of the town was Pyrigion (meaning fort in Ancient Greek). The word Birgi is derived from this name.
In the 14th century, Birgi became the capital of Aydinogullari emirate. During this time many mosques, baths and schools were built in the town. Majority of these builidngs were made of local stone and still standing.
The most attractive building in the town is Cakiraga Konagi. 250 years old mansion with ornate wall paintings. This house is one of the highlights to be visited in Birgi.
Travellers may enjoy walking through the streets of Birgi. A lunch at a local restaurant which serves home-made Turkish food can also be enjoyed.
Since 1996, Birgi is under preservation of Turkish Government and also a candidate to be a Unesco Heritage site.
Visit to Birgi town can be combined with Ancient City of Sardis. Sardis is an hour drive from Birgi or if it is tuesday, Tire Farmers Market can be visited.
For custom private tours of Birgi, Sardis and Tire, please contact us.
Ephesus Travel Guide
Private Ephesus Tours
Private Ephesus Tours from Kusadasi
Private Ephesus Tours from Kusadasi Cruise Port
- Private Ephesus Tours for Oceania Cruises Passengers
- Private Ephesus Tours for Marella Cruises Passengers
- Private Tours for Azamara Cruises Passengers
- Private Ephesus Tours for Regent Passengers
- Private Ephesus Tours for Celestyal Cruises Passengers
- Private Tours for Windstar Cruises Passengers
- Private Ephesus Tours for Silversea Passengers
- Private Ephesus Tours for Star Flyer Passengers
- Private Ephesus Tours from Kusadasi Setur Marina
- Private Ephesus Tours from Guzelcamli Hotels
- Private Ephesus Tours from Kusadasi Cruise Port >
- Private Ephesus Tours from Izmir >
- Private Ephesus Tours from Selcuk Hotels and Selcuk Train Station >
- Ephesus in Bible - Private Biblical Ephesus Tours >
- Ephesus Private Tour Rates >
Excursiones Privadas a Efeso
- Tour privado sugerido de una semana de Turquía
- Excursión a Éfeso para cruceros desde el Puerto de Kusadasi >
- Qué hacer en Kusadasi
- Excursiones privadas de hoteles de Selcuk
- Solo Guia Turistico Servicios
- Excursiones Privadas de Efeso para pasajeros de cruceros MSC
- Tour privado de Pamukkale desde Kusadasi
- Especial Tour de Éfeso: El Desayuno tradicional turco y Efeso
- Excursoes privadas de Efeso >
Частные Эфес туры
- Private Exkursionen von Ephesos >
- Escursioni private di Efeso e la Casa di Maria
- Private Ephesus Tours from Kusadasi >
- Ephesus History
- Contact Us
- Denizhan`s Blog
- Western Turkey Tours
- Izmir Airport Transfers
- Private Pamukkale Tours
- Private Tours of Laodicea
- Private Aphrodisias Tours
- Private Pergamon Tours
- Private Sardis Tours
- Private Priene Tours